Boyer's Food Markets
Tons of C02 avoided in carbon footprint
Store locations retrofitted
Internal rate of return.
High efficiency fluorescent bulbs.
In annual electricity savings.
kW of electricity saved each year.
In 1949, the late Harold S. Boyer opened the first Boyer’s Food Market as a humble corner store in Orwigsburg, PA. Today, the chain operates 17 locations throughout Central Pennsylvania. The company generates sales of $110 million annually and employs 900 people, including 265 full-time employees.
THE ENERGY-SAVING CHALLENGE
With a successful 60-year history, Boyer’s Food Markets embarked on a capital improvement campaign with the help of The Reinvestment Fund in 2008. In additionto purchasing upgraded supermarket equipment and expanding perishable sections, Boyer’s sought to reduce energy costs by improving the efficiency of its stores.
Over the course of six months in 2011, Komuna worked with Boyer’s to select the most efficient solutions to meet its energy reduction goals. Ultimately, each store was retrofitted with 200 high efficiency florescent lighting fixtures, followed by more efficient evap/condenser motors for heating and cooling systems. Komuna procured the best contractors to install the new systems, as well as private equity investors with tax appetite for the investment to help fund the retrofits. Additionally, Komuna determined the eligibility of utility rebates and filed for them on behalf of Boyer’s.
Komuna’s services enabled quick installation and palpable savings in electricity costs that were notably revealed within the first month after completion. Today, this extensive energy efficiency retrofit is saving Boyer’s Food Market, Inc 450,000 kWh a year in electricity, an annual savings of $57,000. Additionally, the retrofits reduced Boyer’s carbon footprint by 317 metric tons annually, the equivalent of taking 66 cars of the road every year.